You can register with the Croatian Employment Service as an unemployed person or as other jobseekers.
The Croatian Employment Service offers among other things:
- Information on vacancies,
- Assistance in defining work potential, defining activities that will improve your employability, define occupations where you have the highest employment opportunities,
- Information on the labour market situation – the structure of unemployment, sought and less-sought occupations,
- Workshops through which knowledge and skills are acquired for successful orientation in the labour market (how to write a resume and an application, how to present yourself to an employer, self-assessment methods, active job search techniques),
- Legal advice,
- Assistance in additional self-assessment of personal opportunities, assistance in selecting a program of education and training, determining the remaining work ability.
An unemployed person is a person between 15 and 65 years of age who:
- Is fully or partly capable to work,
- Is not employed,
- Is actively searching for a job, and
- Is available for work.
An active job search includes participation of the unemployed in:
- Individual counselling sessions,
- Individual consultations,
- Determining the activities in order for them to prepare for employment,
- Determining the activities and goals of their professional plan, alongside with the execution deadlines,
- Implementation of activities defined in the professional plan,
- Searching job vacancies on the website of the Croatian Employment Service,
- Applying to job vacancies on their own initiative,
- Keeping their job search diary,
- The process of professional selection.
Entitlements and obligations of unemployed persons
The entitlements and obligations of unemployed persons are regulated by the Labour Market Act (Official Gazette, no. 118/18).
- Entitlement to financial assistance and reimbursement of expenses during education and training period
- Entitlement to financial assistance and reimbursement of expenses incurred during vocational training without commencing employment
- Extended pension insurance beneficiaries are entitled to financial assistance based on the fixed-term employment contract for permanent seasonal jobs;
- Entitlement to one-time financial assistance and reimbursement of travel and relocation expenses
- Entitlement to pension insurance if a person has been granted a right to unemployment benefits and meets the age requirement for old-age pension, and misses no more than 5 years of service for old-age pension
- Entitlement to unemployment benefits (at least 9 months of employment in the last 24 months; registration with the HZZ and submitting a claim for unemployment benefits within the legally prescribed deadline)
- With regard to EU/EEA nationals
- With regard to third-country nationals
- Regular contacts with an employment counsellor at the appointed times
- Attending individual counselling sessions
- Drafting a professional job search plan with an assistance of employment counsellor and adhering to the activities from the plan
- Submitting applications to employers and applying to job vacancies
- Being available for work and accepting invitations of the Croatian Employment Service for employment preparation activities and employment at the times established in the professional plan
- Carrying out activities in order to prepare oneself for employment: participation in group counselling – workshops aimed at developing active job search skills and participation in the professional selection – selection for a specific job or training.
Other jobseekers are persons who are currently employed, but would like to change their jobs, full-time students or pupils, and other persons who would like to use the services of the Croatian Employment Service.
Other jobseekers cannot use unemployment entitlements.