For persons with regulated compulsory health insurance at the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO), the right to salary compensation based on recognized injury at work or recognized occupational disease will be calculated and paid by their employer, from the first day and at the expense of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund. Salary compensation is paid in the amount of 100% of the compensation base which is determined in accordance with the Croatian legislation on compulsory health insurance.

If you are a person insured in other EU/EEA state/Switzerland and you have experienced an injury at work or occupational disease in the Republic of Croatia, you are entitled to salary compensation based on the recognized injury or occupational disease in accordance with the regulations of your home country.

Temporary incapacity for work can be established and conducted by the contracting general practitioner or a family medicine physician of primary health care in Croatia, who will issue a certificate on temporary inability/incapacity for work.

For persons insured in Croatia who have suffered an injury at work or an occupational disease in another Member State, sick leave can be initiated by a foreign doctor who will issue the certificate required in that state. The insured person is obliged to inform his or her employer in Croatia and the Croatian Health Insurance Fund within the time limits prescribed by the Croatian regulations.


The certificate issued by the Croatian doctor must be submitted to your competent health insurance holder or to your employer within the deadlines defined by the legislation of your home country.

You can also notify your health insurance holder through the Croatian Health Insurance Fund, based on the E116 form (“Medical certificate of temporary incapacity for work”), which will be completed by your Croatian doctor upon your request. The Croatian health Insurance Fund will forward the full report on your medical condition and the permanent consequences caused by the injury or disease completed by Croatian doctor to your foreign health insurance holder.

If you are unable to contact your primary health care provider or the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (for example, if you are in the hospital), the Croatian Health Insurance Institute will fill out the E116 form based on the medical documentation of the health institution in which you are treated and will directly submit it to your insurer.

In case you are dissatisfied with the decision indicated on the E118 form, you have the right to apply for the issuance of the decision, to which you have the right to appeal within a statutory period of 15 days from the date of receipt of the decision.