If you are a citizen of another Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA), or a citizen of Switzerland or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) and you have acquired your status in the compulsory health insurance in Croatia at the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO), registration as well as determination of injury at work or occupational disease will be performed in accordance with the Croatian legislation.

If you have compulsory health insurance in another EU/EEA Member State/Switzerland/UK, and during your stay in Croatia (for example, if you are a posted worker) you experience an injury at work or if an occupational disease is diagnosed to you for the first time, the registration and determination of injury at work / occupational disease will be carried out in accordance with the legislation of the competent Member State in which you are insured.

Therefore, the local office, i.e., the regional office of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO) will request from your competent health insurance provider from the home country the issuance of transfer document DA1.

In the same way, a foreign health insurance holder will request the issuance of the aforementioned form for a Croatian worker, a person insured with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund, who, during a period of temporary work in another Member State, experiences an injury at work or is diagnosed with an occupational disease for the first time.


Relevant links


Your health insurance holder will issue the requested form if, following the procedure carried out in accordance with the regulations of your home country, the holder recognizes your injury at work or occupational disease incurred in Croatia.

On the basis of the submitted DA1 portable document, the Croatian Health Insurance Institute will issue you a health insurance certificate on the basis of which you will be able to exercise all rights to health care from the system of occupational injuries or occupational diseases in Croatia, at the expense of your health insurance holder.

In this case, your health care services will be provided in the form of health care for “regular” injury/disease.