Work permit

 a) Third country nationals

In the Republic of Croatia, a third-country national may work on the basis of residence and work permit or a work registration certificate that can be issued on the basis of an annual quota and outside the annual quota. The Foreigners Act (Official Gazette 130/11, 74/13, 69/17, 46/18 i 53/20) defines the of third-country nationals who, based on their status, can work in the Republic of Croatia without a residence and work permit, i.e. without work registration certificate.

The request for issuance of the stay and work permit is submitted to the competent police administration or police station in accordance with the place of the intended stay of the third-country national, seat of the employer or place of work of the third-country national. – Requests for the approval of temporary stay for the purpose of work (stay and work permits) are decided upon by the police administration or police station in accordance with the place of residence or intended residence of the relevant third-country national.

b) Persons under international protection

In the Republic of Croatia, persons under international protection may work without a residence and work permit, i.e. without work registration certificate.

An asylum seeker acquires the right to work after the expiration of a period of nine months from the date of filing an asylum application on which the Ministry of the Interior has not decided if the asylum seeker by his/her acting has not affected the reasons for not making the decision.

C) Nationals of the Member States of the European Economic Area (EEA) and nationals of the Swiss Confederation – the Act on EEA Nationals and Members of Their Families is applicable (Official Gazette, no.: 66/19 and 53/20).

In the Republic of Croatia, nationals of the EEA Member States and nationals of Swiss Confederation may provide services without a residence permit or work permit, i.e. without work registration certificate.


Searching for a job in the Republic of Croatia

Foreign nationals in the Republic of Croatia may search for a job:

  • Through the Croatian Employment Service (HZZ) – with the help of Employment Advisers or through a web portal “Labour Exchange”),
  • Through employment mediation agencies,
  • On the Internet, and
  • In advertisements published in the public press.


Croatian Employment Service

When registering at the Croatian Employment Service, a job advisor is assigned to an unemployed person in order to provide help in defining the job potential, activities that will improve employability, occupations with the highest employment opportunities, information on the labour market situation, legal advice or assistance in the selection of education and training programs, CV, etc.


In order to register at the Croatian Employment Service, you need to present the following:

  • Valid identification documents from the country of origin (identity card or passport)
  • High-school certificates or diplomas
  • Personal identification number (OIB)

More info                                                                                                              


Employment in the Republic of Croatia

In the Republic of Croatia, working relationship is established by employment contracts. Working relationships can be established for a definite or indefinite period of time, as full-time or part-time work.

Employment contracts must be concluded in writing and if the employer does not offer signing of the employment contract, he/she is obliged to issue a certificate of signed employment contract before the start of working relationship.

If an employer does not conclude an employment contract with a worker, before the commencement of the work and in writing, or does not issue a written confirmation of signed employment contract, it will be considered that the contract was concluded for an indefinite period of time.

The employer is obliged to submit to the worker a copy of the application for compulsory pension and health insurance within eight days of the expiration of the time limit for the application for compulsory insurance under a special regulation.


Whom to contact in case of problems with the employer?

If there is a reasonable doubt that the employer is in violation of the rights and obligations from the employment contract, you can contact the Ministry of Labour and Pension System – Labour Inspectorate, Central Office, Petračićeva 4

www.mrms.hr → e-mail: prijave.sredisnjiured@mrms.hr


Additional information for job seekers and citizens of EU/EEA Member States can be found in the publication “Living & Working in Croatia”, which is available on the Croatian Employment Service website.

More info


Relevant links and contacts

Croatian Employment Service

EURES portal

Central Office

Radnička cesta 1, 10000 Zagreb

Phone: +385 1 612 6000

HZZ email: hzz@hzz.hr ;   E-mail EURES: eures_hr@hzz.hr

Ministry of Labour and Pension System

Ulica grada Vukovara 78, 10000 Zagreb

Phone: +385 1 610 60835

e-mail: info@mrms.hr

Contact points from the Directive 2014/54/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 on measures facilitating the exercise of rights conferred on workers in the context of freedom of movement for workers